Modeling & Simulation
Computational models are powerful tools for simulating the behavior of complex structural and mechanical systems. Such behavior could not be accurately studied by mere hand calculations or be practically studied exclusively through physical testing.
CTLGroup’s experts have decades of experience in advanced analysis and finite element modeling and simulation. We have used this expertise for design, evaluation, repair, and failure investigation of structures, including buildings, bridges, parking structures, industrial structures, liquid containing structures, pipelines, and foundations.
We use conventional structural analysis programs (Such as SAP2000, ETABS, RAM-Concept, and ADAPT) for design and repair of structures. We are well-versed in commercial finite element programs (Such as ABAQUS, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, and DIANA), having used these tools to investigate static and dynamic, linear and nonlinear behavior of structures that involve extreme geometrical and material nonlinearities, instability, impact, and collapse.
Our modeling and simulation capabilities include:
- Buckling instability
- Material plasticity, damage, and fracture
- Material time, temperature, and strain-rate dependence
- Complex contact and impact
- Nonlinear transient heat transfer
- Development of special-purpose computer software for routine analysis and design of structures
- Customization of commercial software to automate routine analysis and design of structures
- Failure investigation