Work on Collapsed Texas Parking Garage Won’t Resume Until Root Cause Determined
A parking-deck structure under construction partially collapsed Feb. 14 in San Antonio, injuring two construction workers at the University Health System’s University Hospital site.
“Unintentional errors can occur when structures are under construction,” says Steven J. Smith, Ph.D., P.E., vice president of CTLGroup in Washington, D.C., which is not involved with the project. CTLGroup offers investigation and analysis of structures and materials. He adds that it is this time when structures are most vulnerable, because they are not self-supporting, and cast-in-place concrete will need temporary shoring and bracing.
For the full article, visit the ENR website.
Other Insights by this person
- Steve Smith and Dave Drengenberg Present at Schinnerer’s 52nd Annual Meeting of Invited Attorneys
May 10, 2013
- Construction Error Could be a Factor in Collapsed Miami Dade College Garage, Experts Say
October 12, 2012
- Building Sequence Probed at Cincinnati Casino Collapse
February 8, 2012
- Lessons from Japan
May 27, 2011
- Stimulating Improvements
January 6, 2011
- Corley and Smith Speak at 2010 Construction SuperConference
December 17, 2010
- High-Performance – Nextgen of Buildings are Safe, Secure & Green
November 5, 2010
- Smith, Zou, and Zemajtis present at FHWA Bridge Engineering Conference in Orlando, FL
February 24, 2010